By entering our graduate programs in Earth Sciences, or Geodetic Science & Surveying, you will become a part of one of the nation's premier research universities. In 2004 The Ohio State University passed the half billion dollar mark in total research awards. In 2005 Ohio State's total awards rose to $550 million. Over the last five years, the faculty of our school have brought in over $20 million in federal research funding from NSF, NASA, DOD, DOE, EPA, NOAA, and NIH, and published more than 500 referred papers in journals such as Science and Nature. These numbers quantify the excellence that is an integral part of our growing School of Earth Sciences.
What Our Grad Program Offers
The overall goal of the Graduate Degree Program in the School of Earth Sciences is to provide students the opportunity to develop advanced professional training in the Earth and Environmental Sciences and Geodetic Science. Specific objectives of the program include providing students opportunities to:
- Participate in advanced classes and seminars
- Conduct independent research on fundamental issues in the Earth and Environmental Sciences
Applying to Our Graduate Program
Below are guidelines for applying to our graduate program. Ohio State University operates on the quarter system. Applicants are accepted for admission during Autumn, Winter, and Spring quarters. However, applicants are strongly encouraged to submit completed applications as early as possible in order to avoid any potential delays in processing.
- Decide on your study area. See following pages of brochure or visit our website.
- Contact potential advisors by phone or email. This is optional, but it is strongly recommended.
- Apply for admission to the School of Earth Sciences using the online application at http://gradadmissions.osu.edu.
- Applicants applying for fellowships and/or assistantships should check the appropriate boxes on the Graduate School application.
- You can check the status of your application by contacting Ms. Angie Rogers (614-292-8746; email@example.com), or by checking the Graduate School's website at http://gradadmissions.osu.edu